The imperfect life of perfectionism

This morning I woke up thinking about the difference between perfectionism and Jesus’ appeal to us to be perfect. I suspected the thought meant God wanted me to write about these differences, but, to be sure, I prayed for a word of confirmation, which immediately came! Here's the article that followed: https://marysayler.blogspot.com/2017/10/the-imperfect-life-of-perfectionism.html

Another boring day at church...

Acts 2:43 (NIV) Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. “Filled with awe,” or as my British family might say, they were gobsmacked, utterly astonished and astounded. The old translations use the word, “fear.” A hush spreads through the crowd and no one wants to break the silence. There is a heightened sense of anticipation as people are saved, healed and delivered. Miracles are happening. God is at work and nobody wants to miss it. It is one of those “Be still and know that I am God” moments. God is awesome! Contrast that with what goes for a “normal” worship service today. There are exceptions, of course, and praise God for them. I have been sur

Jesus, women and a family reunion

Acts 1:14b (RSV) …together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers. Women loved Jesus. Judaism was a man’s religion. Women were servants, almost slaves, who depended on their husband for survival. Their worth was measured by how many male children they could birth and their ability to cook, clean and carry water. Jesus changed that. The culture would take time to catch up, and we still haven’t fully made it, but women were equal citizens in God’s kingdom. And Jesus was a family man. His mother, brothers, and I think his sisters, were in the upper room. When Jesus appeared to his disciples after his resurrection, I’ll bet his family rushed to see him as soon as they

Women, Jesus and family time

Acts 1:14b (RSV) …together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers. Women loved Jesus. Judaism was a man’s religion. Women were servants, almost slaves, who depended on their husband for survival. Their worth was measured by how many male children they could birth and their ability to cook, clean and carry water. Jesus changed that. The culture would take time to catch up, and we still haven’t fully made it, but women were equal citizens in God’s kingdom. And Jesus was a family man. His mother, brothers, and I think his sisters, were in the upper room. When Jesus appeared to his disciples after his resurrection, I’ll bet his family rushed to see him as soon as they

ABOUT US

Christian Poets and Writers discuss ways to build up the church Body of Christ, inspire, strengthen faith, and improve writing in all genres. May God guide our prayers and words of forgiveness, love, and unity in Jesus' Name.

CONTACT US
SUBSCRIBE FOR EMAILS
  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Google+ Icon